President George W. Bush Says Bigotry and White Supremacy is Blasphemy Against the American Creed
Kudos to President George W. Bush for speaking up against bigotry, white supremacy, nationalism and the real #fakenews (AKA conspiracy theories). I think President Bush has the right approach, attack the hatred and lift up American values. There is no need to mention Trump, actually, we shouldn’t care if it’s Trump initiating the racist policies or Mike Pence or Jeff Sessions; it’s the policies we reject. Trump is not the first president and maybe not the last to believe in white supremacy so we can’t get caught up on the person we have to focus on fighting his racist and nationalist views.
According to the Washington Post, here’s a sampling of what President Bush said at a George W. Bush Institute event in New York:
- “Bigotry seems emboldened. Our politics seems more vulnerable to conspiracy theories and outright fabrication.”
- “We’ve seen nationalism distorted into nativism.”
- “We’ve seen our discourse degraded by casual cruelty. . . . Argument turns too easily into animosity.”
- “It means that bigotry and white supremacy in any form is blasphemy against the American creed, and it means the very identity of our nation depends on passing along civic ideals.”
- “Bullying and prejudice in our public life … provides permission for cruelty and bigotry.”
- “The only way to pass along civic values is to live up to them.”
Read the full Washington Post article by clicking here.